The Religious formation/religious education of our children is on a “Family Based Program”. Today there is an interest in family centered Religious Education because of the documents that have risen in recent years from our bishops.
1965 Vatican II: Declaration of Christian Education. “As parents have given life to their children, on them lies the obligation for the Christian education of their family.” # 3
1972 National Conference of Catholic Bishops: to teach as Jesus did. “It is in the family that children learn to believe what their parents' words and examples teach them about God.” # 25
1977 NCCB: Sharing the Light of Faith: “parents are the first and foremost catechists of their children.” # 212
1983 Revised Code of Canon Law: “parents above others are obliged to form their children in the faith.” # 774
1994 Catechism of the Catholic Church:
- # 2221-2231 “the role of parents in education is of such importance that it is almost impossible to provide an adequate substitute.”
- # 2221 “parents have the first responsibility for the education of their children. The home is well suited for education in the virtues.”
- # 2223 “the home is the natural environment for initiating a human being into solidarity and communal responsibilities. Parents should teach children to avoid the compromising and degrading influences which threaten human societies.”
- # 2224 “education in the faith by parents should begin in the child's earliest years.
- # 2226 “faith formation is the responsibility of parents; however, they need resources and the support of parish religious educators and catechists. And so …